Poetry Out Loud
Congratulations to 2014 Poetry Out Loud Champion
Photo: Paul Marotta
Courtney Stewart of Springfield Central High School!
1st Runner-Up: Stephanie Igharosa, Randolph High School
2nd Runner-Up: Darlande Joseney, Avon Middle High School
Learn more about the 2014 Poetry Out Loud Competition
Poetry Out Loud is a national poetry recitation contest that encourages students in grades 9-12 to memorize and perform real poems and to explore the dynamic aspects of slam poetry, spoken work, and theatre in their English and Drama classes. The Huntington’s Education Department helps to facilitate the Massachusetts statewide competition with the Massachusetts Cultural Council.
For more information on Poetry Out Loud, visit the official website at poetryoutloud.org. For information about the Massachusetts competition, please contact Donna Glick, Director of Education, at 617 273 1548 or email email@example.com.
"POETRY OUT LOUD helps students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence, and learn about their literary heritage. By encouraging your students to study, memorize, and perform some of the most influential and timeless poems of the English language, you immerse them in powerful expression and provocative ideas. Although many students may initially be nervous about reciting in front of their peers, the experience will prove invaluable — not only in school, but also in life. Much of the future success of students will depend on how well they present themselves in public. Public speaking is a skill people use every day on both the workplace and the community."— National Endowment for the Arts & The Poetry Foundation
HOW IT WORKS
- Classroom competition: each student recites a poem from the Poetry Out Loud Anthology
- School-Wide Competition: classroom winners each recite 2 poems
- State Semi-Finals: for school-wide winners — March 1 & 2, 2014
- State Finals: for semi-final winners — March 9, 2014 (Old South Meeting House, Boston MA)
- National Competition: The MA State Champion will advance to the Nationals, held in Washington, D.C. (all expenses paid!) April 29-30, 2014.
- Prizes: cash prizes are awarded to winners and their schools at the state and national level.
There are no Poetry Out Loud events currently scheduled. Check back soon for more information regarding the 2015 competition!
Presented by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation, in partnership with the Massachusetts Cultural Council and the Huntington Theatre Company.
|Boston Semi-Final Sponsor: