Since its founding in 1982, the Huntington Theatre Company has developed into Boston’s leading theatre company. Bringing together superb local and national talent, the Huntington produces a mix of groundbreaking new works and classics made current. Led by Artistic Director Peter DuBois and Managing Director Michael Maso, the Huntington creates award-winning productions, runs nationally renowned programs in education and new play development, and serves the local theatre community through its operation of the Calderwood Pavilion at the BCA. The Huntington is in residence at Boston University.
OPEN POSITIONS :
To Apply for the open positions, except for the Part-Time Sales Associate, please:
Interested candidates, please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Peggy J. Novello, Director of Human Resources
Huntington Theatre Company, Inc.
281 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Fax: 617 353 8300
in either MS Word or PDF format with the job title in the message subject.
In addition, the Huntington Theatre Company provides Health, Dental, Life, and Disability insurance, as well as paid vacation, sick days, and holidays.
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
The Management Assistant assists the Associate General Manager and the General Manager in many facets of general management and administration of the Theatre.
The major responsibilities of the position include:
- Negotiate, draft, and track artistic and general management agreements, disseminating relevant information to appropriate departments, and filing signed contracts both internally and with all applicable unions.
- Manage and track expense budget for all artistic activity; support Associate General Manager in development of regular budget reports.
- Prepare detailed and accurate payroll and benefit reports for weekly employees.
- Significant daily data-entry duties in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and Google Docs
- Coordinate contractual obligations with various departments.
- Prepare union paperwork, correspondence, and reports.
- Provides administrative support for the Associate General Manager including composing and distributing correspondence, completing projects and/or gathering information on a wide array of topics as assigned by the Associate General Manager.
- Communicate in a professional, courteous, timely and effective manner with Actors, Agents, Directors, Designers, other Theatre Managers, and various Union Representatives.
- Maintain detailed paper and electronic filing system.
- Support administrative needs of Company Management department, including booking travel and housing for guest artists, coordinating catering for events, and maintenance of artist housing.
- Maintain an up-to-date performance and event calendar for multiple shows and venues.
- Complete any special projects as assigned by the Associate General Manager.
- Previous administrative experience in a professional theatre is helpful.
- B.A./B.S. or equivalent.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills as well as demonstrated organizational abilities.
- Adept at managing multiple tasks simultaneously and capable of responding quickly and appropriately to the often personal needs of guest artists.
- Proficiency with Word and Excel is a must as well as experience with a calendar program (i.e. MS Outlook).
- Proficiency with Access and Tessitura is helpful but not required.
Special Events Manager
The Special Events Manager is responsible for planning, scheduling, implementing and managing all logistics for a portfolio of special events throughout the Huntington Theatre Company. The responsibilities include coordination of financial transactions, menus, invitations, mailing lists, seating plans, photography, guest artist arrangements, interaction with Box Office, Stage Management and Front of House, and all other matters related to the planning and implementation of special events. This individual plays an important role in realizing the Huntington’s annual contributed income and donor relations goals.
- Stewards the Huntington’s major donors and Board members by managing events with an exceptional level of customer service.
- Manages all opening night dinners, Board dinners, corporate donor events, and special cultivation events.
- Manages or assists with internal events as needed, including staff events and meetings.
- Manages or assist with marketing events as needed, including subscriber receptions, etc.
- Manages the overall operations and logistics of the Spotlight Spectacular, the Huntington’s annual $1 million plus fundraising event.
- Maintains clear and detailed transaction information for all events.
- Manages the budgets for all Development events, recording expenses as they happen and tracking accuracy in the general ledger weekly.
- Documents key event processes and best practices so that they may be compiled into an updated event manual for business continuity purposes.
- Drives event information directly from Tessitura database records to streamline event tracking and maintain accurate information in one database.
- Upholds fundraising standards and best practices according to Huntington policies recommendations, including adherence to the Donor Bill of Rights.
- B.A./B.S. or equivalent, plus a proven track record of 3 years or more of progressively responsible and expansive experience in nonprofit Event Management and/or Development.
- Proven ability to manage multiple important events concurrently, and to prioritize and respond positively and effectively in meeting steadfast deadlines.
- Proven ability to simultaneously prioritize and balance organizational priorities, for example, fiscal responsibility, donor engagement, and the practice of monitoring and promoting the Huntington brand.
- Meticulous attention to detail, an outgoing, confident team-oriented personal style and excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are required.
- Able to form productive and genuine relationships throughout the organization, and to actively engage with high level volunteers, Board members, donors and prospective donors, and the general public.
- Prior Hospitality/Development experience working with performing arts groups, preferable a theatre background, is a plus.
- High level of discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Have demonstrated effective budget management experience and possess excellent computer skills including experience with development databases (Tessitura exp. a plus), and Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Experience with online auctions (Bidding for Good/Greater Giving and AuctionPay) is desirable.
The position requires some lifting (up to 50 pounds), the ability to climb stairs, and the availability and willingness to work longer hours on event dates, including somewhat frequent evening and weekend events.
Full-Time Box Office/Subscription Customer Service Representative
The Box Office Representative handles telephone and window sales for Huntington Theatre Company, Boston Theatre Scene and BU College of Fine Arts, processes single ticket and subscription orders, exchanges, flexpass redemptions and disseminates information to customers.
The major responsibilities of the position include:
- Trained in all aspects of day-to-day operations of the Box Office and may be called upon to assist in training and supervision of part-time and work study representatives.
- Responds to patron inquiries in a polite and professional manner. Understands the policies of the Box Office but also has the authority to make allowances where deemed to be appropriate.
- Transacts sales in Tessitura in the approved manner, quickly and accurately.
- Other clerical duties as assigned including database maintenance and updates.
- Maintains the VIP Ticketing report on a weekly basis.
- Special assignments regarding outside theatre bookings when needed.
- 2 years of college or equivalent
- 1 year professional box office experience.
- Strong customer service and organizational skills.
- Comfortable using computerized ticketing system, spreadsheet programs, email and word processing.
- Excellent attention to detail, confidence, and ability to promote the best interests of the organization while attending to customer concerns.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.