Since its founding in 1982, the Huntington Theatre Company has developed into Boston’s leading theatre company. Bringing together superb local and national talent, the Huntington produces a mix of groundbreaking new works and classics made current. Led by Artistic Director Peter DuBois and Managing Director Michael Maso, the Huntington creates award-winning productions, runs nationally renowned programs in education and new play development, and serves the local theatre community through its operation of the Calderwood Pavilion at the BCA. The Huntington is in residence at Boston University.
OPEN POSITIONS :
To Apply for the open positions please follow direction with in the body of the listing, if not mentioned then:
Interested candidates, please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Peggy J. Novello, Director of Human Resources
Huntington Theatre Company, Inc.
281 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Fax: 617 353 8300
in either MS Word or PDF format with the job title in the message subject.
In addition, the Huntington Theatre Company provides Health, Dental, Life, and Disability insurance, as well as paid vacation, sick days, and holidays.
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Scene Shop Foreman
The Scene Shop Foreman supervises the Huntington Theatre Company’s builds, installs and strikes on the shop floor, in a shop shared with the Boston University School of Theatre during the build season. Leads and organizes staff and Over Hire carpenters on the floor; and spends significant time in hands on construction.
The major responsibilities of the position include:
- Assists TD and office in scheduling, layout and execution of the construction of scenery; and constructs scenery as required by the needs of the project. Will occasionally be expected to work directly from design drawings.
- Supervises the staff, over-hire and student labor while controlling the flow of work on the shop floor.
- Checks and approves the quality of all work before it moves on to paint, storage, or stage.
- Monitors and enforces safe and healthy working practices by Scenery staff and any others present in workshops and on stage.
- Coordinates with other production departments on the progress and flow of work; organizes shop space use in concert with the TD, Charge Scenic Artist, and BUT Student Shop Supervisor.
- Participates in the installation and strike of each Huntington production, supervising crews as assigned. Weekend and holiday work can be expected, sometimes on short notice.
- Maintains and follows a regular schedule of inventory and tool maintenance as defined by the Technical Director, coordinating with other scene shop staff.
- B.A./B.S. in Technical Theatre Study or the equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of professional experience
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be able to read designer prints and technical drawings and accurately translate them into finished scenery.
- Proficiency in fabricating in wood, steel, aluminum and plastics is necessary.
- A good working knowledge of shop machine and power tools, and welding equipment.
- Must be knowledgeable in the safe use of line sets and chain motors, including rigging and use of rigged items up to 1500 pounds, and have the ability to supervise and train others in use of the same.
- Must be familiar with maintenance, operation and installation of stage and scenery equipment such as winches and pneumatics.
- Experience with hydraulics and the operation and programming of motion control systems is preferred.
Calderwood Front of House
The Huntington Theatre Company seeks part-time Front of House staff for the Stanford Calderwood Pavilion at the Boston Center for the Arts. Become a part of the most exciting space for the performing arts in Boston. The Calderwood Pavilion at the Boston Center for the Arts is a theatre complex that hosts a wide range of Boston theatre companies including the Huntington Theatre Company, SpeakEasy Stage Company, and many others.
We are searching for dependable, outgoing individuals who enjoy the arts and interacting with the public to join our Front of House team. Responsibilities include ticket scanning, ushering, concessions sales, bartending (training provided), and supervising volunteers. Must have evening and weekend availability but some daytime availability is a plus. Candidates must possess excellent customer service and organization skills.
Compensation: This position is part time. It pays $10 per hour and offers free tickets to all Huntington Theatre Company productions.
How To Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume or letter of experience to:
Calderwood Pavilion House Manager
527 Tremont Street Boston, MA 02116