National August Wilson Monologue Competition
The August Wilson Monologue Competition celebrates the writing of the the Pulizer Prize and Tony Award-winning playwright. Huntington staff and teaching artists work with high school students from selected Boston Public Schools to introduce Wilson and his Century Cycle, support script analysis and character development, and coach them as they prepare monologues for performance and competition.
The top winners from in-school competitions advance to the Boston Regional Finals in February, and the top three winners are awarded all-expense-paid trips to the National Finals in May at Broadway's August Wilson Theatre where they compete agains regional finalists from across the nation.
August Wilson's Century Cycle is an achievement in American theatre. Each of the ten plays are set in a different decade of the twentieth century. At the core of each work are soaring, lyrical monologues that take the song, laughter, pain, and rich content of African American life and place it in the mouths of a great and varied ensemble of characters.
For more information, contact Donna Glick, Director of Education, email@example.com, 617 273 1548
2013 Boston Winners:
- Antonio Stroud, Boston Day & Evening Academy — Boston Regional Champion
- Illiana Mendez, Brighton High School — First Runner-Up
- Derek Lindesay, Codman Academy Public Charter School — Second Runner-Up
2012 Boston Winners:
- Tyrel Joseph, Codman Academy — Boston Regional Champion
- Halima Ibrahim, Snowden International School at Copley — First Runner-Up
- Reanna Johnson, Dorechester Academy — Second Runner-Up
2011 Boston Winners: