National August Wilson Monologue Competition
AWMC National Finals: April 30 – May 3, 2016 in New York City, NY
Meet the 2016 Boston Regional Finalists
Staceyanne Burrell of Boston Arts Academy took first place with her performance as Tonya from King Hedley II at the Boston Regional Finals of the August Wilson Monologue Competition. Victoria Omoregie of Snowden International School at Copley was named first runner-up and also portrayed Tonya from King Hedley II; Carolina Alcantara (“Aunt Ester,” Gem of the Ocean) of Fenway High School was named second runner-up.
The August Wilson Monologue Competition celebrates the writing of the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning playwright. Huntington staff and teaching artists work with high school students from selected Boston Public Schools to introduce Wilson and his Century Cycle, support script analysis and character development, and coach them as they prepare monologues for performance and competition.
August Wilson's Century Cycle is an achievement in American theatre. Each of the ten plays are set in a different decade of the twentieth century. At the core of each work are soaring, lyrical monologues that take the song, laughter, pain, and rich content of African American life and place it in the mouths of a great and varied ensemble of characters.
For more information, contact Donna Glick, Director of Education, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617 273 1548
Past August Wilson Monologue Competition Winners
- Carla Velasquez, Codman Academy Charter Public School — Boston Regional Champion
- Maria Gonzalez, Another Course to College — First Runner-Up
- Joshua Champagne, City on a Hill Charter Public School — Second Runner-Up
- Trinidad Ramkissoon, Boston Day & Evening Academy — Boston Regional Champion
- Ashley Herbert, Edward M. Kennedy Academy for Health Careers — First Runner-Up, *NATIONAL CHAMPION*
- Dinia Clairveaux, Snowden International School — Second Runner-Up
- Antonio Stroud, Boston Day & Evening Academy — Boston Regional Champion
- Iliana Mendez, Brighton High School — First Runner-Up
- Derek Lindesay, Codman Academy Public Charter School — Second Runner-Up
- Tyrel Joseph, Codman Academy — Boston Regional Champion
- Halima Ibrahim, Snowden International School at Copley — First Runner-Up
- Reanna Johnson, Dorechester Academy — Second Runner-Up
- Mariah Watkins, Kennedy Academy for Health Careers — Boston Regional Champion
- Tyler Jackson, Boston Adult Technical Academy — First Runner-Up
- Nehemie Auguste, Fenway High School — Second Runner-Up
|This program is supported in part by a grant from the Boston Cultural Council, a local agency which is funded by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, administrated by the Mayor's Office of Arts, Tourism, and Special Events.