In 2012, the Huntington launched the Summer Workshop, a two-week new work retreat culminating in public readings of the plays in development. The Workshop is modeled after the Sundance Theatre Lab and is an extension of the Huntington’s Playwriting Fellows program and Breaking Ground Reading Series. Huntington Director of New Work Lisa Timmel and Huntington dramaturg Charles Haugland support the writers during the intensive, artist-driven development process, and the festival is produced by Huntington Associate Producer M. Bevin O’Gara.
“We are continuously looking for ways to make our new work initiatives work better for the writers and for the local theatre ecology,” says Huntington Artistic Director Peter DuBois. “In think-tank conversations with our Huntington Playwriting Fellows, they told us that they wanted more opportunities to work in three dimensions. I can’t wait to revisit these four plays at the end of the process to see how they’ve grown.
"Only in its third year, this annual development retreat has quickly become an important cornerstone for our new play activities. Local playwrights participate in all levels of the process — the original design, the annual selection process, and this year, even directing one of the individual workshops. Plays from previous years have gone on to production both by the Huntington and other Boston companies, and it's always exciting to see how these plays over the course of the workshop."
Check back next spring to learn about our 2015 Summer Workshop. In the meantime, check out our Breaking Ground Reading Series to learn more about the new work development that takes place during the Huntington's regular producing season.
Past Summer Workshops
The third annual Summer Workshop ran from July 7 – 20, 2014, and featured workshops of 4 new plays:
- Murmur Rock by MJ Kaufman, diected by Pirronne Yousefzadeh;
- Chatal by Sinan Ünel, directed by Melinda Lopez;
- The Bluebeard Project by Masha Obolensky and Melia Bensussen, directed by Melia Bensussen;
- and Start Down by Eleanor Burgess, directed by Shawn LaCount.
The second annual Summer Workshop was held July 9 – 21, 2013. The plays included:
- Mammal Heat by Rosanna Yamagiwa Alfaro, directed by Melia Bensussen;
The inaugural Summer Workshop took place from July 10 – 22, 2012, and featured new plays by four Huntington Playwriting Fellows:
- Jagun Fly by John Oluwole ADEkoje, directed by Niegel Smith;
- Flight by Patrick Gabridge, directed by Jessica Bauman;
- and Becoming Cuba by Melinda Lopez (Sonia Flew), directed by M. Bevin O’Gara.