News About the Huntington Avenue Theatre
The Huntington Theatre Company has long been an anchor cultural institution of Huntington Avenue, the Avenue of the Arts. Now that our permanent location on Huntington Avenue is secure, we have begun plans to convert our current theatre into a first-rate, modern venue that enlivens this stretch of Huntington Avenue on a year-round basis, contributing to the revitalization of the neighborhood much the way the Calderwood Pavilion at the BCA in the South End did in 2004.
We plan to renovate our beautiful theatre, expand our public space and our services to patrons, and continue to produce ambitious, large-scale works at this location in a way that enhances our services to audience members, young people, our neighborhood, and the theatre community of Boston.
WHERE WE ARE NOW
- Boston University: In October 2015, Boston University and the Huntington dissolved our partnership of over 33 years and BU placed the BU Theatre complex up for sale. Our partnership officially ends on June 30, 2017.
- Huntington on Huntington: In June 2016, Mayor Martin J. Walsh announced from our stage that the Huntington would remain on Huntington Avenue on a permanent basis! Real estate developers QMG Huntington LLC purchased the buildings on Huntington Avenue and agreed that the Huntington will have exclusive, long-term control of our historic theatre and the service wing to its west.
- Planning Stages: We are currently making plans for renovating our beautiful Huntington Avenue Theatre and beginning our capital campaign. We plan to preserve the beauty of this historical building, while providing up-to-date amenities. And yes, our intention is to make sure there are plenty of restrooms and new lobby space for all of our patrons!
OUR 2017-2018 SEASON
- Standard Schedule: The Huntington's 2017-2018 season will once again include 4 shows at the Huntington Avenue Theatre and 3 shows at the Calderwood Pavilion at the BCA in the South End — with all the variety and artistry you've come to expect!
- More of What You Love: Subscribers will have the opportunity to keep their seats and can expect another wonderful season of world-class theatre with an eclectic mix of classics made current and exciting new plays. Subscribers enrolled in automatic renewal will receive their letters in late January, and renewal packets will be mailed in March.
- Production Facility Move: Our production facility, currently on Huntington Avenue next door to the theatre, will relocate by June 2017. We have received a tremendous outpouring of support for our scenic, paint, and prop shop artisans, and are currently designing and preparing a new home for them. Stay tuned for our exciting announcement about the location of the new facility!
- Scene Shop Celebration: We plan on hosting an event in June 2017 to celebrate and honor the history of our production facility on Huntington Avenue to which you will be invited. We will share details later this spring.
- Working with the Developer: We will work closely with QMG Huntington LLC as they establish the design review process for the new development next door to the theatre, and will provide updates as they occur.
The Huntington is extremely grateful for the vocal support and encouragement from our loyal audience members and supporters throughout Greater Boston. Please show your support by continuing to attend Huntington productions and events or make a contribution at huntingtontheatre.org/donate. Thank you!
For the latest news and information, visit the frequently asked questions page of our website at huntingtontheatre.org/FAQ.