- 2013 Massachusetts State Champion: Courtney Stewart (Springfield Central High School)
- 1st Runner Up: Stephanie Igharosa (Randolph High School)
- 2nd Runner Up: Micayla Rivin (Westfield High School)
Visit the blog for a full recap of the 2013 Poetry Out Loud Massachusetts State Finals.
Sabrina Accime (Top 6, left) and Micayla Rivin (2nd Runner Up, right) look on as Courtney Stewart (center)
reacts to being named the 2013 Massachusetts Poetry Out Loud Champion. Photo credit: David Marshall.
- 2011 Massachusetts State Champion: Michaela Murray (John D. O'Bryant School of Mathematics & Science, Roxbury)
- 1st Runner Up: Kori Alston (Monument Mountain Regional High School of Great Barrington)
- 2nd Runner Up: John Oliveras (Claremont Academy of Worecester)
Read more on the blog.
2011 Poetry Out Loud National Statistics
We are pleased to announce that Massachusetts has once again been ranked nationally both for total number of students participating, as well as total number of schools involved in Poetry Out Loud. With 53 States and Properties competing, this is an accomplishment we are very proud of. Congratulations to all of our teachers and students who came on the journey with us this season!
Total Number of Students: Ranked 3rd behind California and Washington State.
Total Number of Schools: Ranked 4th behind California, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
Overall Statistics 2010-2011
- Total participating students: 365,855
- Total participating schools: 2,255
- Total participating teachers: 5,020
Top Five Programs by Number of Participating Students:
- California: 41,172
- Florida: 23,791
- Washington: 20,304
- Massachusetts: 18,788
- New York: 17,941
From the National Endowment for the Arts