Poetry Out Loud
The National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation, in partnership with the Massachusetts Cultural Council and the Huntington Theatre Company.
"POETRY OUT LOUD helps students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence, and learn about their literary heritage. By encouraging your students to study, memorize, and perform some of the most influential and timeless poems of the English language, you immerse them in powerful expression and provocative ideas. Although many students may initially be nervous about reciting in front of their peers, the experience will prove invaluable -- not only in school, but also in life. Much of the future success of students will depend on how well they present themselves in public. Public speaking is a skill people use every day on both the workplace and the community." ~ National Endowment for the Arts and The Poetry Foundation.
POETRY OUT LOUD 2014 IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- Click Here to Register Your School!
- All Schools Must Register by Friday December 20, 2013 to participate.
- Make sure you've added firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact list, all email pertaining to the program will be sent from this address.
- All school competitions must happen BEFORE January 31, 2014
- All school champions must be registered as a Semi-Finalist BEFORE January 31, 2014
- Click Here for More Information on the Program!
- All students participating must be in grades 9-12
- Your school cannot participate in POL without registering with us. Be sure to click the link above and a staff member will confirm your registration!
2014 Important Dates
- Informational Session #1: October 1, 2013 4-6pm: Huntington Theatre Company Administrative Offices
- Semi-Finalist Registration Deadline: January 31, 2014
- Massachusetts Semi-Final Competitions: March 1 & 2, 2014. (schools will be assigned to a location in February)
- Massachusetts State Finals: March 9, 2014
- National Finals, April 29 & 30, 2014 in Washington, DC
How it works
- Classroom competition: each student recites a poem from the Poetry Out Loud Anthology
- School-Wide Competition: classroom winners each recite 2 poems
- State Semi-Finals: for school-wide winners — March 1 & 2, 2014
- State Finals: for semi-final winners — March 9, 2014 (Old South Meeting House, Boston MA)
- National Competition: The MA State Champion will advance to the Nationals, held in Washington, D.C. (all expenses paid!) April 29-30, 2014.
- Prizes: cash prizes are awarded to winners and their schools at the state and national level.
For more information about the Massachusetts competition, please contact Donna Glick, Director of Education, at 617 273 1548 or email email@example.com.
Our 2013 Massachusetts State Finalists for Poetry Out Loud
Photo credit: David Marshall