2013 Poetry Out Loud MA State Finals
We are thrilled to introduce you to Courtney Stewart, our 2013 Poetry Out Loud Champion. This image, captured by David Marshall at the moment his name was announced as Champion, captures the spirit of the program perfectly.
This past Sunday, 23 students from all across Massachusetts met at the Old South Meeting House in the heart of historic Boston to compete for the title of State Champion. It was one of the toughest competitions we’ve seen in the 8 years of facilitating this program. Every contestant brought such unique power, eloquence, and talent to their recitations, it was difficult to anticipate what the judges would ultimately choose as the winning poet.
A freshman from Springfield Central High School, Courtney performed three poems with such grace and power, he was quickly a favorite among many, as was evident by many conversations overheard during the break regarding which student might win the coveted prize.
Courtney will travel, all expenses paid, to Washington DC at the end of April to compete at the National Competition. I personally cannot wait to support him in this next leg of the journey, and look forward to watching him represent the Huntington, his school, and our state at the competition.
Courtney is only the second male contestant to win the Massachusetts Championship. Vinh Hua from Boston Latin School took home the title in 2006, the first year of POL. Stay tuned for more information on the National Finals, and follow along in Courtney’s journey!
Sabrina Accime (Top 6, left) and Micayla Rivin (2nd Runner Up, right) look on as Courtney Stewart (center) reacts to being named the 2013 Massachusetts Poetry Out Loud Champion. Photo credit: David Marshall.
Other tidbits about Poetry Out Loud 2013
- 82 Schools registered
- 20,900 students participated in the program across Massachusetts
- 71 Students participated at the Semi-Finals
- 23 Finalists:
- Anagha Indic from Advanced Math & Science Academy Charter School
- Ben Rutan from Algonquin Regional High School
- Raphe Gilliam from Amherst High School
- Lily Bunyea from Barnstable High School
- Allie Hardy from Burlington High School
- Latanya Simpson from Codman Academy Charter Public School
- Samantha Salem from Dracut Senior High School
- Erin Hebert from Holyoke High School
- Devon Flanagan from Groton-Dunstable Regional High school
- Michelle Beaulieu from Masconomet Regional High School
- Sabrina Accime from Meridian Academy
- Micayla Rivin from Needham High School
- Kathryn Holaday from Newburyport High School
- Ryan Kramer from Norwell High School
- Justin von Bosau from Prospect Hill Academy
- Stephanie Igharosa from Randolph High School
- Christopher Carchedi from Rockland High School
- Lydia King from Salem Academy Charter School
- Courtney Stewart from Springfield Central High School
- Molly Brennan from Sturgis Charter Public School East
- Jackie Thomsen from Swampscott High School
- Mikayla Mitchell from Westfield High School
- Top 6:
- Sabrina Accime
- Stephanie Igharosa (1st Runner Up)
- Micayla Rivin (2nd Runner Up)
- Courtney Stewart (Champion)
- Jackie Thomsen
- Justin von Bosau